Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I HAVE A DREAM


I have a dream that one day this Hawkeye nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: “Fight, Fight, Fight for Iowa”.

I have a dream that one day on the Iowa River, the sons of former City High Little Hawks and the sons of former West High Trojans will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the city of Columbus, a city sweltering with the heat of ignorance, sweltering with the heat of mediocrity, will be transformed into an oasis of black and gold.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by standardized test scores, but by knowing the words to “In Heaven There Is No Beer”.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, up in Ann Arbor, with its yuppies, with its governor who has the worst unemployment in the nation -- one day right there in West Lafayette little Wolverine boys and Wolverine girls will be able to join hands with little Boilermaker boys and Boilermaker girls and realize that they collectively suck.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day Pagliai’s will become a national pizza chain, and the Lark Supper Club will be famous again, Iowa City, Coralville, and Cedar Rapids will never flood again, and Herky will win the Capital One Mascot Challenge" and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it how great the Hawks can be."²

This is our hope, and this is the faith that I go back to the Bloomington with.

With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the despair of a Big 10 losing streak into a stone of hope for a 7 win season and a bowl bid. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our Hawkeye Nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to cheer together, to stand up for Stanzi, knowing that we will be BCS contenders again one day.

And this will be the day -- this will be the day when all of Herky’s children will be able to sing with new meaning:
In Heaven there is no beer
(No beer?!)
That's why we drink it here
And when we're all gone from here
Our friends will be drinking all the beer.


And if we are to become a great Hawkeye Nation-this must become true.

I--O--W--A

No comments: